St. Luke's Methodist Church was organized in 1869. It's beginnings were in a mission founded in 1849 by members of the Franklin Street Church. The first church location was on Elizabeth Avenue opposite St. Stephen's Episcopal Church. In 1850 it was known as Lyde's Chapel. In 1856 the name was changed to West Broad Street Methodist Church. The brick chapel on the northeast corner of Clinton Avenue and Murray Street was dedicated March 12, 1858.
On February 20, 1870, soon after the organization of the church, it exchanged property with a lot across Murray Street on the southeast corner of Clinton Avenue. The stone church was dedicated on April 23, 1871. The cornerstone of the next church built was laid on May 7, 1883. The church was destroyed by fire in 1982 and rebuilt.
From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912
Give material relief to its own poor who are members. The pastor is responsible for visiting the poor.
Archive Information (Last Known location)
for the Bethel Church are located at Drew University.
|Copyright 1998 - 2017 Glenn G. Geisheimer|