January 16, 1910 - Reasons Why North Reformed Church is the Largest in the City of Newark
The Third Reformed Dutch Church, also known as North Reformed Church, was organized on December 16, 1856. Services were held for a time in Oration Hall. The building of the church was commissioned in 1857 and the cornerstone was laid on September 14, 1857. The stone building was erected at (115) Broad and Bridge Streets.
The church, built for $32,000, became the Sunday meeting place for many of the city's elite. March 17, 1885 saw the unveiling of a new organ built by Reuben Midmer & Son. The church was badly damaged by fire in 1922 and 1931, but was restored to a functioning church. It is of Gothic structure with buttressed walls. A Sunday School was added in 1883.
Archive Information (Last Known location)
Consistory minutes, 1856-1920; Elders minutes, 1856-1954; Christian Endeavor Society records, 1906-1909; Women's Group records, 1901-1955.- RCA Archives
FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY CATALOG: Centennial souvenir, 1856-1956, the North Reformed Dutch Church, Newark, New Jersey
Further information on this church can be found in:
Historical Directory of the Reformed Church in America