St. John's German Lutheran Church was originally part of St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church. A division occurred at that church in 1840, during the pastorate of Rev. John Frederick Marshoff. This division caused litigation that ran for more than a decade. The new church built an edifice in 1858 at 81 West Street and moved in 1867 to 140 Court Street.
Please note that this church claimed to be the rightful successor of
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church. This congregation merged with
the Redeemer Lutheran Church on Prospect Street in Irvington, NJ.
Archive Information (Last Known location)
Archives Center at Philadelphia
|Copyright 1998 - 2017 Glenn G. Geisheimer|