The second religious denomination to come to Newark were the Episcopals (The Church of England). The founding of the first church (Trinity) was brought about by an incident involving the First Presbyterian Church. After many days of rain, Colonel Joshiah Ogden harvested his wheat on a Sunday in order to save it from ruin. The Presbyterian Church, of which he was a highly respected member, disciplined him for this offence. This disciplining led Colonel Ogden to seek other religious ties. The Episcopal church had been holding services in Newark for several years before this incident. The man who held these services was The Reverend Edward Vaughan who was an Episcopalian missionary for the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts, which was headquartered in Elizabeth. By October 6, 1731 the Reverend had baptized over 600 people in the area (Newark, Orange, Elizabeth and Whippany).
The split between the Presbyterians and the Episcopalians deeply divided Newark for over 40 years.
From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912
Social Service Commission, Diocese of Newark - Established by a resolution
of the Annual Convention of the Diocese, May, 1910. Consists of six members
- three clergymen and three laymen, appointed by the Bishop. Its business
is to take under consideration all the matters pertaining to the social
duty of the church and report on the same at the Annual Convention. It
is empowered to appear in endorsement of, or in opposition to, proposed
legislation and to lend its co-operation to public movements in the interest
|Copyright 1998 - 2018 Glenn G. Geisheimer|