The third church denomination to come to Newark were the Baptists. Officially
the First Baptist (Peddie Memorial) Church was the original Baptist Church.
This is because the Elizabeth Avenue (Lyons Farms) Baptist Church was
located on land that was not part of Newark until 1902. New Jersey Baptists
developed from its original church to Newark in this manner: The first
church was established in Middletown, Monmouth County in 1667. The Piscataway
Baptist Church (the land is now in Edison, Middlesex County) was organized
in 1686. The Scotch Plains Baptist Church was formed in 1747 from the
Piscataway Church. The Lyons Farms Baptist Church was formed from the
Scotch Plains Baptist Church in 1769. The First Baptist Church of Newark
was formed from the Lyons Farms Baptist Church in 1801.
Baptist Church Resources
|Copyright 1998 - 2018 Glenn G. Geisheimer|