St. James A. M. E. Church

588 Martin Luther King Blvd.
Newark, New Jersey 07102

1900 - Present


Official Web Site


Newspaper Articles

Rev. and Mrs. Rex Parted

The St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1900. The church building, purchased in 1945, formerly belonged to the Seventh (High Street) Presbyterian Church. The first service was held on January 7, 1945 with dedication services on January 14, 1945. The mortgage was quickly paid for and burned on January 13, 1946. 47 Pastors have served St. James in its 145 year history. The church is listed in the New Jersey Historical Registry.

The church has a medieval art form, influenced by the Germanic tribes of Italy during the 400's. The sanctuary has high ceilings, pointed arches and intricate ornamentation on its stone walls. Tall, slender columns rise from the floor to the framework of ribbed vaulting, paralleling delicately embossed, cathedral ceiling lights. Its exterior extends this art form with flying buttresses on stone supports built against outside walls to support the high arched ceilings.

The reduced wall surfaces are replaced by sixteen priceless, stained glass windows which include: one massive floor to ceiling "Rose" window, six exquisite "Tiffany" windows that depict Biblical history in raised relief, and five simply designed, floral patterned windows.

Ornately carved, mahogany sires tower over a majestic, raised pulpit which faces matching pews and a rear balcony that serves as a choir loft and a resting place for a rare Skinner pipe organ, only one of three now in existence in the United States.

Reverends Addresses Archive


Reverend From To
James V. Peyton 1900 1900
A. L. Earls 1901 1901
H. P. Anderson 1902 1906
William Oscar Davis 1907 1908
R. French Hurley 1909 1910
A. A. Collins 1911 1915
H. E. Spearman 1916 1920/21
Harry W. Cummings 1925 1929
Daniel J. Brown 1930 1930/31
Charles S. Spivey 1931/32 1936
J. H. Slade <1940> <1940>
William D. Watley Ph.D. 1984  

Address From To
90 Union Street 1900 after 1943
588 High Street (588 Martin Luther King Blvd.) 1952  

Archive Information (Last Known location)