The church was named Centenary because it was started in the Centennial year of Methodism in the United States. The Rev. A. M. Palmer noted the steady growth of population northward and early in the summer on 1866 invited the families living near the junction of Belleville and Bloomfield Avenues to join him in the shade of an elm tree in a vacant lot.
The first meeting was so successful that each Sunday morning the gathering grew in numbers and interest. Before long it was agreed that this lot should be purchased and a chapel built. The cornerstone was laid in November, 1866 and in July 1867 the completed building was dedicated. The cornerstone of the second church was laid on Thanksgiving Day, 1886 with dedication on February 26, 1888.
From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912
Gives relief to its own poor who are members; also to nonmembers with whom it is brought in contact. Conducts a mission in the Silver Lake section among the Italians, a Men's Club, King's Daughters' Society, and various societies among the young people. Church is open nearly every evening.
Archive Information (Last Known location)
are located at Drew University.
|Copyright 1998 - 2017 Glenn G. Geisheimer|