The First Methodist Protestant Church was organized on June 20, 1859 when "One of the prominent Methodist Episcopal Churches (St. Luke's) of the city was subjected to the change of a popular pastor against the wishes of the members by what seemed to be a particularly arbitrary act on the part of the authorities." The first services were held in Library Hall on Market Street.
In 1859 the church moved to Hill Street. This church building was destroyed by fire in 1870. The church was rebuilt with a seating capacity of one thousand. In 1999 a mission was started on Clinton Hill. The services were held in a real estate office at Clinton Avenue and Hedden Terrace. In 1904 a church was built and was known as the Clinton Hill Methodist Protestant Church.
In 1907 the First Methodist Protestant Church merged with the Clinton Hill Church and moved into the building at 230 Warren Street. In 1939 the merged churches were known as Trinity Methodist Church. 1950 brought the closing of St. Luke's Church and those members were transferred to the Trinity Methodist Church.
Archive Information (Last Known location)
are located at Drew University.