St. Paul's Church was organized on February 9, 1853 as the Broad Street Church. By January, 1853, the foundation walls of a church on Marshall Street were built. Services were begun on February 20, 1853 in Union Hall at 200 Market Street. On April 1st, the congregation moved to Insurance Hall at 189 Market Street. The new church was opened on December 29, 1853.
The cornerstone of the next church was laid on October 26, 1854 with the dedication on February 22, 1856. The cost of this church was $78,248. In 1865 the name was changed to St. Paul's and for 60 years it was one of the leading churches of Methodism in the Newark Conference. The original church had twin towers and was one of the most spectacular in the city.
On April 3, 1917 it merged with the Summerfield Methodist Episcopal Church. The church at 174 Grafton Ave. was dedicated in 1921. The Broad Street building was torn down in 1936. The new building was rededicated in 1955 upon the removal of church debt.
From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912
Gives relief to its own poor who are members, also to nonmembers with whom it is brought in contact, in some cases. A Boys' Club and a men's Club are conducted under the auspices of the church.
From: Rider's Newark 1916
At 979 Broad Street, corner of Marshall Street, is the M. E. Church of St. Paul, organized 1853. The present edifice was erected the following year, at a cost of $78,000. It is a notable structure of brown stone, in the perpendicular Gothic type of architecture, having two mineret-towers upon its front.
The side door is usually open; it closed, the sexton may be found in the adjoining house to the west.
Back of the pulpit, in the space between the organs, is a mural painting of the Nativity, by Will H. Low. He also designed the ten side windows, consisting of three angels each, varying in attitude and attributes, and carrying out a general uniformity of conception (executed by Heinigke and Bowen). In the Broad St. facade is a spacious window (20 by 30 feet), representing "St. Paul Preaching at Athens." The window was designed by Walter Crane and executed by J. and R. Lamb.
Archive Information (Last Known location)
are located at Drew University.