Emanuel Methodist Church (German)

1846 -

Images

The Clinton Avenue facade (pictured) is currently occupied by the Bethesda Pentecostal Church.

The Emanuel (German) Methodist Church belongs to the pioneer congregations of German Methodism in the East. In the summer of 1844 mission work began in this territory among German speaking people. The first preaching service was held in the Methodist Church on Franklin Street followed by meetings in a public school building on Bank Street. In the fall, the German Methodist Church was organized. In 1845, a former Baptist church on Market Street was purchased. Increasing railroad traffic necessitated a change of location. The existing church was sold and a new one was built on Mulberry and Walnut Streets in 1872. City expansion and population changes made re-location of the church desirable, so in 1914 the church was moved. In 1934 a preaching service in English was added.

Reverends Addresses LDS FHC
Microfilm #'s
Archive
Information

 

Reverend From To
John Sauter 1846 1848
Thomas Steck 1848 1850
Thomas Pfusten 1848 1850
John Swablen 1848 1850
S. F. Zimmerman 1850 1852
C. H. Hauner 1853 1855
John Sauter 1853 1855
F. C. Gratz 1856 1860
William Schwartz 1856 1860
C. R. Afflerbach 1860 1862
J. Seidel 1862 1863
H. Kastendieck 1864 1867
C. Jost 1868 1869
J. W. Freund 1870 1874
P. Quattlander 1874 1874
H. Kastendieck 1875 1876
J. C. Deininger 1879 1880
J. W. Freund 1881 1883
George Aberle 1884 1887
Louis Wallon 1887 1892
Paul Quattlander 1892 1896
August Flamann 1896 1902
John Lange 1902 1903
W. H. Kurth 1903 1908
D. H. Pape 1903 1913
John Mueller 1913 <1925>
William F. Isler <1930> <1935>
Leopold Schneider <1940> <1940>


Address From To
251 Market Street 1846 1869
319 Market Street 1870 1872
Mulberry Street c. Walnut Street 1873 <1910>
12 Hedden Terrace/558 Clinton Avenue <1910> <1940>


LDS FHC Microfilm #'s

Information Starting Year Ending Year LDS Microfilm #
       
       

Archive Information (Last Known location)

Records are located at Drew University.
100th Anniversary, 1944