Second / Franklin Street Methodist Church

1831 -

Images

 

The Second Methodist Church was built in 1831 and dedicated in 1836 at 12 Franklin St. Changed name to Franklin Memorial in 1931. At a meeting held in the home of William Murphy, at Longworth and High Streets, in 1830 a committee was appointed to procure a suitable lot on which to erect a church building and the Franklin Street site was purchased.

After a gigantic raid on the unlawful element in Newark in 1840 it was found impossible to accommodate all of the city's lodgers in the Court House and the city officials gained permission to use the basement of the church as a jail. In 1927 the Quarterly Conference voted to sell the property and erect a Franklin Memorial Church at 134 Maple Ave.

Advertisement:

MARKET ST. M. E. CHURCH

Pew No. 58 in the centre Aisle of the above named Church is offered for sale, low, and terms easy - said Pew is one of the best located in the house. Apply to KING & BOND, 298 Broad St. or David Price, 28 Franklin St.

Reverends Addresses LDS FHC
Microfilm #'s
Archive
Information

 

Reverend From To
J. S. Porter 1835 1835
Levi Scott 1836 1836
Thomas McCarroll 1837,
1847
1838,
1848
D. W. Bartine 1839 1840
Isaac Winner 1841 1842
J. L. Lenhart 1843 1844
Charles H. Whitecar 1845 1846
I. N. Felch 1849 1850
William P. Corbit 1851 1852
J. K. Shaw 1853 1854
C. S. Van Cleve 1855 1856
J. O. Rogers 1857,
1867
1858,
1869
J. R. Adams 1859 1860
S. Armstrong 1861 1862
Benjamin Kelley 1863 1864
J. Atkinson 1865 1869
J. R. Daniels 1870 1872
R. S. Arndt 1873 1875
Charles Larew 1876 1879
A. L. Brice 1880 1881
S. N. Bebout 1882 1885
Daniel Holleron 1886 1888
W. H. Ruth 1889 1891
J. B. Brady 1892 1892
R. Van Horne 1893 1893
E. M. Garton 1894 1897
J. A. Cole 1898 1899
F. S. Simmons 1900 1904
H. J. Johnson 1905 1908
M. Y. Bovard 1909 1910
William Eakins 1911 <1915>
John O. Winner <1920> <1920>
James C. Howard <1925> <1925>
Paul L. Tilden

<1930>

<1930
John G. Lytle <1935> <1940>


Address From To
12, 17, 19 Franklin Street 1836 1891
28 Franklin Street 1892 <1930>
134 Maple and Kerr Ave. <1935> <1940>
     


LDS FHC Microfilm #'s

Information Starting Year Ending Year LDS Microfilm #
       
       

Archive Information (Last Known location)

Records are located at Drew University
Directory, 1906
Centennial, 1931
Directory, 1934
Historical Sketch, 1956
Advertisement, 1988
Quarterly Conf. Reports, (1901 - 1922, 1939 - 1940)
Culture Club Treasurer, 1886
Official Board Minutes, (1918 - 1940, 1949 - 1958)
Trustee Minutes, (1843 - 184, 1927 - 1932, 1936 - 1937)
Membership Records, (1836 - 1898, 1915 - 1929, 1951)
Class Meeting (1875 - 1886)
Church Leaders, (1837 - 1841)
Singing Society, (1845)
Recording Stewards, (1837 - 1851)
Treasurer's Records, (1836 - 1882, 1901 - 1904)
Financial Secretary, (1962 - 1967)
Scout Trip, (1937)
Cemetery, (1843)
Epworth League, (1888 - 1928)
WSCS (1940 - 1958)
WFMS, (1935 - 1940)
Ladies Aid, (1870 - 1940)
Alpha Bible Class, (1933 - 1940)
Centennial booklet, 1931