First African / Plane Street / Thirteenth Avenue Presbyterian Church

May 7, 1835 - <1940>

Images

 

Black leaders who were unhappy with being permitted to worship instead of being invited to worship broke away from the First Presbyterian church and formed their own Presbyterian mission. Theodore Frelinghuysen donated a lot on Plane Street and persuaded a number of prominent citizens to help erect the new church. It was dedicated on May 7, 1835 at 132 Plane Street. An enlargement was completed in 1852. In 1910 the congregation moved to the church at Thirteenth Avenue and Boston Street. This church was the former home of the Wicliffe Presbyterian Church. The third Reverend of the church, Elymas Payson Rogers, went on to missionary work in Africa, where he died of fever in 1861.

Reverends Addresses LDS FHC
Microfilm #'s
Archive
Information

 

Reverend From To
T. P. Hunt approx. 1836 1839
S. E. Cornish 1840 1842
Elymas Payson Rogers 1848 1861
J. E. Adams 1863 1866
Charles H. Thompson 1861 January 12, 1871
W. W. Morris October 1, 1871 September 1, 1874
Isaac W. Davenport April 15, 1877 June 3, 1885
William A. Lynch February 10, 1887 October 20, 1897
J. H. Locklier March 9, 1898 October 3, 1906
Edward S. Eggleston April 20, 1908 <1915>
Lawrence B. Ellerson <1920> <1940>


Address From To
132 Plane Street 1835 1858
221 - 239 Plane Street 1858 1910
46 Boston Street corner Thirteenth Avenue 1910 <1940>


LDS FHC Microfilm #'s

Information Starting Year Ending Year LDS Microfilm #
       
       

Archive Information (Last Known location)