First German Presbyterian Church

July 27, 1851 - <1920>

Images

 

The First German Presbyterian Church was organized on July 27, 1851. The original building was a frame structure. The second church, a stone structure, was dedicated on September 16, 1860. The church claimed to be the mother of the German Presbyterian Churches of New Jersey and the eastern part of the United States. Reverend Guenther established the first German-English day school in 1854 in Newark. His efforts established the German Theological School of Newark, located in Bloomfield. It has changed names to the Bloomfield Theological Seminary.

Reverends Addresses LDS FHC
Microfilm #'s
Archive
Information

 

Reverend From To
William Winnis 1851 1856
Johann Ulrich Guenther Grave 1857 May 10, 1899
Henry Selbert May 28, 1899 <1910>
Herbert Peters <1915> <1920>


Address From To
112 Market Street 1852 1852
24 Mercer Street 1853 1861
127 Marshall Street 1862 1869
39 Morton Street n. High Street 1870 <1915>
88 College Place <1920> <1920>


LDS FHC Microfilm #'s

Information Starting Year Ending Year LDS Microfilm #
Church Records 1848 1880 0912973
Woman's Association Minutes 1889 1900 0558475

Archive Information (Last Known location)