The Seventh Presbyterian Church, also known as the High Street Church, was organized on September 16, 1849 and the church was built overlooking the city at 203 High Street. The dedication occurred on May 18, 1852 and cost of the church was $43,000. James B. Pinneo, one of the first elders, gave $20,000 towards the cost. The church building at 588 High Street (new numbering system) is now occupied by the St. James' A. M. E. Church.
From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912
Church gives relief to its own poor who are members, and to nonmembers with whom it is brought in contact. A Boy's Brigade, A Young Men's Union, with gymnasium and social rooms, a Men's Club, holding monthly public meetings with informal lecture on subjects of common interest, are conducted under the auspices of the church.
Archive Information (Last Known location)
Misc. Church Records 1841-1901. Records in possession of the Presbyterian Historical Society, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY CATALOG: The Fiftieth anniversary
of the High St. Presbyterian Church of Newark, N.J., 1849-1899