The Second Presbyterian church was formed by the northern part of the First Presbyterian congregation. The cornerstone of the church was laid in June of 1810 by 93 members. The lot was at 17 Washington Street facing Washington Park. The stucco finish gave the new church the nickname "Old Blue Church". The auditorium has 26 stained glass windows of various sizes depicting outstanding local citizens, spiritual leaders, and incidents in the life of Christ.
Only 9 months after the church dedication, the wife of the first reverend fell from Passaic Falls in Patterson and drowned, they had been married only two months. In 1886 the old church was replaced with a new edifice. A Sunday School and parish house were erected in 1911. The church was destroyed by fire in 1930 and rebuilt. Newark's first foundry, erected in 1768, first occupied the site.
The congregation dissolved in 1995. The building still stands.
From the Newark Daily Advertiser, Thursday Evening, September 20, 1850:
"A New Bell has just been placed in the steeple of the Second Presbyterian Church, the old one, to which the ears of the passing generation have been so long accustomed, having been cracked on the day of the funeral solemnities to the memory of Gen. Taylor. The bell is from the famous foundry of Meneely, of West Troy, weighs about 1400 lbs., is on B, and is very sweet toned."
From Chris Cook:
In the year 1801 Rev. Edward Dorr Griffin became Colleague Pastor with Dr M Whorter of the First Presbyterian Church Newark N.J. After an eminently successful ministry of nearly eight years at Newark he accepted the appointment of Professor of Sacred Rhetoric in the Theological Seminary at Andover Mass and was inaugurated in June 1809. He was in Newark in 1815 as pastor of the Second church. In 1821 he became president of Williams College in Massachusetts holding that office fifteen years. He again returned to Newark and died here November 8, 1837 He lies buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery.
Archive Information (Last Known location)