The South Park Presbyterian Church was organized on March 20, 1853. The original church was supposed to be on Mulberry Street but a vote was taken on April 19, 1852 with the result being a church on the corner of Broad Street and Clinton Avenue. The cornerstone of the church was laid on October 29, 1853 with the dedication being held on February 15, 1855. An enlargement of the church was done in 1884.
The church was destroyed by fire in 1992. All that remains is the facade. A history of the church appears in the "Record of the Twenty-fifth Anniversary", published at Newark in 1879.
From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912
Church gives material aid to its own poor who are members and to nonmembers with whom it is brought in contact in the course of church work. South Park Memorial Chapel, corner South & Dawson Streets, is maintained by the church. Social and educational clubs are conducted in the South Park Chapel, under the auspices of the church.
Archive Information (Last Known location)
FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY CATALOG: The Eighty-fifth anniversary of South Park Church, Newark, New Jersey : October 23 and 26, 1938
|Copyright 1998 - 2017 Glenn G. Geisheimer|