Our Lady of Mount Carmel
(Italian) Roman Catholic Church

259 Oliver Street 07105
Phone: (973) 589-2090
Fax: (973) 589-2662

1890 - Present

Images

 

Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church was formed in 1889 in response to the need of immigrant Italians wanting church services in their own language. In 1882, Bishop Wigger established an Italian mission in St. John's School hall. In 1886 the Vatican sent the Rev. Conrad Schotthoefer to lead the congregation. St. Philip Neri Church became the base for the congregation in 1887 and in 1889 the church purchased the Second Reformed Church on the corner of Ferry and MacWhorter streets. This church was renamed to Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church. In 1893, Newark's first Italian pastor arrived.

Reverends Addresses LDS FHC
Microfilm #'s
Archive
Information

 

Reverend From To
Conrad M. Schotthoefer 1890 1890
Joseph Ali 1893  
Ermest D'Aquila 1893 <1930>
Leonard Viccaro <1935> <1940>


Address From To
35 Ferry & McWhorter Streets 1889 <1935>
176 - 178 Edison Place <1935> <1940>
259 Oliver Street Unknown Present
     


LDS FHC Microfilm #'s

Information Starting Year Ending Year LDS Microfilm #
Baptisms Index 1890 1917 1378287
Baptisms (In Latin) 1890 1898 1378287
Baptisms 1898 1903 1378287
Baptisms 1903 1906 1378287
Baptisms (In Latin) 1907 1911 1378287
Baptisms (In Latin) 1911 1915 1378288
Marriages (In Latin) 1890 1915 1378288
Interments 1893 1928 1378288
Confirmations (In Italian) 1890 1917 1378289

Archive Information (Last Known location)