Father and Six Sons Built Scaffold on Church Tower - December 10, 1916 - Newspaper Article
St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church was organized in 1841. Work on the church at Grand and Court Streets began in 1841 with the first mass being celebrated on January 31, 1842. On September 5, 1854 the church was ransacked by marchers of the American Protestant Association Lodge of New Jersey during a parade, destroying its organ, chairs and doors. An Irish onlooker was killed by gunshots during the fight. In 1857 the church building was put on rollers and moved to the site on High Street. It was dedicated on December 20, 1857. The parish school was founded in 1863. On December 19, 1884 the church was raised to an abbey.
From: Rider's Newark 1916
The interior is highly decorated with mural paintings and memorial windows
Over the altar are figures of the Virgin Mary, St. Boniface and St. Benedict; below are the four evangelists. The nave is supported upon rows of arches, resting on massive pillars. Above these arches are paintings of the principal scenes in the life of the Saviour. Above the arch of the sanctuary is The Coronation of the Virgin. Above a side altar at the northeast corner, is preserved under glass the mutilated gilded figure of the Blessed Virgin, which together with the earlier St. Mary's Church on this same site was destroyed by a band of rioting Orangemen from New York, September 5, 1854.
Archive Information (Last Known location)
|Copyright 1998 - 2017 Glenn G. Geisheimer|