St. Michael's Roman Catholic Church was organized in 1878 by the Rev. Patrick Leonard. The cornerstone of the church was laid June 16, 1878 with the dedication being held in January, 1879. A school and convent were erected in 1881. A chime of bells was hung in the church tower in 1886 and on October 7, 1887 the church was declared free of debt. A new school and convent were erected in 1893 and in 1902 the church interior was redecorated. Renovations were done again in 1913.
When first established St. Michael's parish extended to the lines separating Newark from Belleville and Bloomfield townships. In 1890, a section, now the parish of the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart, was taken from its territory and, in 1901, another section was detached to become the parish of Our Lady of Good Counsel.
Archive Information (Last Known location)
NOTE: Original microfilm is at the church. The marriages are mostly in Latin. The first book of marriages has an overlapping and there are duplicates. Includes individual indexes for marriage records. These are indexed by the groom in the second volume and the first volume has an index only to the Latin portion.
|Copyright 1998 - 2018 Glenn G. Geisheimer|