Christ Reformed Church
October 30, 1872 -
Christ Reformed Church was organized on October 30, 1872. It was preceded by the formation of a Sunday School. Many of the original members came from the Woodside Presbyterian Church. At a neighborhood meeting on May 16, 1871 they voted to form a church society to be based on the standard of belief of the Presbyterian Church and to be called Christ Church of Woodside. By September, 1872, it had been decided to organize a Dutch Reformed church and to make overtures to the Classis of Newark. That being done the church opened for worship on March 2, 1873.
Notes taken from the church books:
"At a meeting held at the house of Mr. Charles C. Hine, and composed
of representatives from thirteen families of the neighborhood, it was
resolved to organize a Church Society. After reading of the scriptures
and prayer being offered by Rev. Dr. Macauley and Messrs. C. C. Hine and
H. H. Nichols, the meeting was formally organized by the election of Horace
H. Nichols as Chairman and Jas. Swinnerton, Jr., as Secretary."
"The following is a copy of a notice posted pursuant to vote of
meeting held the 16th inst.:
The meeting was held on May 30, 1871 with the following names as the first members:
H. H. Nichols
The cornerstone of the present church was laid on June 14, 1906 after the procurement of a $1,900 mortgage. Charles G. Jones of Belleville was selected as the architect. Dedicated came on January 21, 1907. The complete cost of the new church was just over $46,000.