Trinity (East) Reformed Church

483 Ferry St.
Newark, New Jersey 07105

October 27, 1869 - <1940>

Images

 

The Trinity Reformed Church, formerly known as the East Church was organized on October 27, 1869. A Sunday School had been organized in 1850 in Thomas Webb's foundry house on Ferry Street, near the present Bowery. In 1859 the abandoned chapel of the Second Reformed Church was moved to Ferry Street after lots had been given by Miss Elizabeth Richards. The second Church maintained the mission.

In 1867, William H. DeHart, a student from the seminary at New Brunswick began to conduct afternoon services. On June 13, 1869 the first morning service was held and the church was later organized. In 1870 the chapel was moved and the cornerstone of the present church was laid with the dedication coming on June 23, 1871. On December 20, 1894 the name was changed to Trinity. Extensive repairs and renovations was done to the church and it was re-dedicated on November 4, 1908. An addition to the Sunday School was built in 1913.

The Trinity Reformed Church still stands on the corner of Ferry Street and Hawkins Street. This is my childhood church.

From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912

Church gives material aid to its own poor who are members, and to nonmembers with whom it is brought in contact, in the course of church work. The pastor is responsible for visiting. Men's League and Young Men's Social Club are conducted under the auspices of the church. Church open nearly every evening.

Reverends Addresses LDS FHC
Microfilm #'s
Archive
Information

 

Reverend From To
Isaac B. Brokaw 1869 1874
Cornelius R. Blauvelt 1874 1876
Charles H. T. Krueger 1877 1880
Theodore (William) H. Shafer 1882 1884
Charles D. Preyer 1884 1886
Richard P. Milliken 1887 1893
John N. Morris 1893 1907
Charles B. Condit June 19, 1907 1917
Francis R. Fenn 1918 1922
George H. Donovan 1922 1954
Robert A. Jones 1958 1961
Floyd P. Swart 1961 1965
Jan W. Van Arsdale 1966 1971
Frank R. Ackerman 1972 1977
Linda S. Powell 1980 March 2001
     


Address From To
475, 483 Ferry Street 1867 <2001>
     
     
     


LDS FHC Microfilm #'s

Information Starting Year Ending Year LDS Microfilm #
       
       

Archive Information (Last Known location)

Further information on this church can be found in:

Historical Directory of the Reformed Church in America
by Russell L. Gasero