The New York Avenue Reformed Church, formerly the Second Reformed Church was organized on May 23, 1848 by members of the First Reformed Church. The first meetings were held in a small chapel on McWhorter Street, near Ferry Street, and were conducted by Rev. George R. Williamson. The cornerstone of the church at the corner of Ferry and McWhorter Streets was laid on September 25, 1848, with the dedication being held on May 8, 1849. In 1857 an addition for a Sunday School was built. The church building was sold to Our Lady of Mr. Carmel Roman Catholic Church in 1889. The congregation moved to a new chapel on Pacific Street in 1888 and the cornerstone was laid on October 6, 1891. The dedication was held on December 5, 1892. The debt of the new church was paid off by Christmas Day in 1895. Merged with North Reformed Church in 1940
From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912
Church gives material aid to its own poor who are members, and in exceptional cases to nonmembers. Missions are maintained by the church both in Newark and in East Newark; also a visiting nurse. A variety of industrial classes, clubs for men and boys, a Young Women's Guild, and many other kinds of work are conducted under the auspices of the church.
Archive Information (Last Known location)
Baptisms, 1911-1934; Marriages, 1918-1934; Deaths, 1918-1932; Members, 1870-1932; Consistory minutes, 1849-1940. - RCA Archives
Further information on this church can be found in:
Historical Directory of the Reformed Church in America
|Copyright 1998 - 2017 Glenn G. Geisheimer|