St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized on October 10, 1833 by the Rev. Frederick William Geissenhainer, D. D., president of the New York Ministerium. This church holds the claim as the oldest Lutheran Church in New Jersey. The original services were held in a hall over a carpenter shop on Harrison (now Halsey) Street, between Market and William Streets. Later they moved to hall at Market and Beaver Streets.
The first church at 28 Mechanic Street was dedicated on November 10, 1840. This location was between Broad and Mulberry Streets on the North side. The church of the Messiah (Universalist) at 84 Halsey street, opposite Cedar Street was purchased in March, 1862. The congregation worshipped there until 1910, when a new church was opened on Avon Avenue. In 1840 a division in the church occurred, giving life to another St. John's German Lutheran Church. The reverend at the time was John Frederick Marschoff.
October 25, 1885 - Church
Archive Information (Last Known location)
The recent records of this church are in the church and the older ones are held by the Lutheran Archives Center at Philadelphia.
Some records are also available at: