January 17, 1904 - Union Street Church Transformed
The Fourth/Union Street Methodist Church was organized on April 21, 1847. It was the first church east of the Pennsylvania Railroad (Ironbound, Down Neck). The congregation from the Franklin Street Methodist Church began work on a Sunday School and went on to build the first church, made of wood, in 1849. The second church, made of brick, was dedicated on May 29, 1850. The church changed from Union Methodist Church to Phillips Metropolitan AME Church <1930>.
From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912
Church gives material aid to its own poor who are members, also in cases to nonmembers with whom it is brought in contact, in connection with the church work. Conducts an Epworth League. Church supports Italian Mission on South Market Street. Open every night save Saturday.
Archive Information (Last Known location)
are located at Drew University.