The Central Presbyterian Church is organized on January 31, 1837 at 90
Market Street. The first church was a frame building that was dedicated
in the fall of 1838. The cornerstone of the second church was laid on
July 29, 1851 on the east side of Washington Street, between Market and
Bank Streets. The dedication was held on January 25, 1853. On October
18, 1892 the congregation moved, after a vote, to Clinton Hill. Temporary,
services were held in a store on Clinton Avenue, near Ridgewood Avenue.
The new church soon opened at Clinton and Belmont Avenues.
From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912
The church is in the habit of giving material aid to its own poor who
are members, and to nonmembers with whom it is brought in contact, in
the course of the church work. The Board of Deacons is responsible for
the visiting of the church. Men's League lectures are conducted under
the auspices of the church.