The Sixth Presbyterian Church was organized on October 1, 1848 from members of the Third, Central and First churches. The dedication of the church was held in 1849. In 1884 it became absolutely necessary to enlarge the building. On April 20, 1885 the church building increased its size to about 800.
The original church at 90 Union Street was abandoned in 1891 and the St. James A. M. E. Church bought it. The next church had it's cornerstone laid on November 12, 1890 at 9 o'clock in the evening, under electric lighting. The dedication was held on November 9, 1891.
Sometime after 1935 the Presbytery of Newark asked St Paul's to take over the building as St. Paul's Presbyterian Church. St. Paul's was/is an immigrant church with sermons in Portuguese made up of Portuguese and Brazilian members.
From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912
Church gives relief to its own poor who are members, and sometimes to nonmembers with whom it is brought into contact. Men's Brotherhood of the church conducts two bowling alleys in the basement. Church open every day.
Archive Information (Last Known location)