The First Universalist Church began operations on Fair Street in 1834. Universalists held the belief that all mankind would be saved because of the loving kindness of God, the nobility of man and the joy of religious life. Needless to say, this put them at odds with the rest of the church community who believed that only a select few would enter Heaven. At first there was only a handful of church members. The first 18 years of worship were at 16 Clinton Street, in a building gotten from the Free Presbyterian Church. A division occurred in the church in 1852 leading to the Second Universalist Church. The First Universalist Church moved to Library Hall while the Second Universalist held services in what was known as The Insurance Building. In 1858 the First Universalist Church moved to a building on Fair Street where a freight yard now stands. On February 3, 1862 both churches combined into one congregation. The Halsey Street church of the Second Universalist was sold to St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church. The cornerstone of the Broad Street church was laid on April 9, 1872 with the dedication taking place on March 26, 1873.
From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912
Church is in the habit of giving material aid to its own poor who are members, and to nonmembers at times, if approved by the Bureau of Charities. The pastor is responsible for the visiting in connection with the work. Educational, economic, and often civic lectures are conducted on Sunday evening, under the auspices of the church.
Newark Sunday Call October 8, 1882
It is said of couples whom Rev. Mr. Snow, of the Church of the Redeemer, marries, that they are "Snow-bound".
Archive Information (Last Known location)