October 21, 1906 - Grave Discord Exists in Lyons Farms Church
Lyons Farms Baptist Church was organized on April 16, 1769. It was located at Elizabeth and Lyons Avenues. It later became the Elizabeth Avenue Baptist Church. It was organized by eight men and four women, eleven of whom brought certificates from the Scotch Plains Baptist Church and one from the First Baptist Church of New York City. The church building was completed in 1793 even though the edifice was built in 1768. During the American Revolution the church was used as a hospital. 1871 saw the building of the second edifice and 1907 the third. A burying ground accompanied the church with the oldest tombstone bearing the name Ichabod Grummon, who died October 29, 1794. The last burial was made in 1865. Since then the interments have been moved to Evergreen Cemetery in Hillside.
Archive Information (Last Known location)
Records of Baptisms, Marriages, Members and Deaths, 6 vols. from 1769 - 1908 in the custody of the NJ Historical Society. Records from 190 - at church.
|Copyright 1998 - 2018 Glenn G. Geisheimer|