First German Baptist Church

September 7, 1849 - <1915>

Images

 

The Robert N. Dennis Collection of Stereoscopic Views,
courtesy of The New York Public Library.

To Dedicate First German Baptist Church - September 12, 1915 - Newspaper Article

The First German Baptist Church was organized on September 7, 1849. In 1861 the church purchased the former First German Presbyterian Church building, holding the dedication on April 7, 1861. The dedication ceremony featured a sermon by Rev. K. A. Fleischman of Philadelphia. He is believed to be the first German Baptist preacher to come to America, arriving in New York City in March, 1839.

The church was rebuilt in 1875. Around 1915 the church became known as the Clinton Hill Baptist Church. It later moved to Morris Avenue in Union.

From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912

Gives relief to its own destitute members and very frequently to non-members. Has a mission on 16th Avenue and Holland Street. Conducts an industrial school on Friday afternoon and a German school on Saturday.

Reverends Addresses LDS FHC
Microfilm #'s
Archive
Information

 

Reverend From To
S. Kupfer September 20, 1849 March 1, 1850
A. Huni October, 1851 February 7, 1856
Conrad Bordenbender August 26, 1856 October 31, 1861
Julius C. Hasselhuhn January, 1862 1868
Henry Trumpf 1868 1875
George Knoblock 1876 1891
Fred. Niebuhr 1892 1902
Louis C. Knuth 1903 December, 1911
R. J. Hack December 1912 <1915>

 

Address From To
23 New Street 1851 1855
154 Market Street 1856 1861
24, 28 Mercer Street April 7, 1861 after 1912
Clinton Ave. corner St. 14th St. 1915 <1915>


LDS FHC Microfilm #'s

Information Starting Year Ending Year LDS Microfilm #
       
       

Archive Information (Last Known location)