St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church

Sandford Avenue

1906 - Present

Images

 

Transcribed by Michelle Tucker Chubenko

The St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church was organized in 1906 by the St. John the Baptist Brotherhood. The congregation first met at a storefront on Jackson Street, however attendance quickly outgrew the building.

In February 1907, the parishioners purchased a building at 246 Court Street. On Palm Sunday, March 1907, the congregation celebrated its first Divine Liturgy officiated by Rev. John Dorozhynsky. In September 1925, the church moved to a larger building on Morton Street.

After many successful years serving the Ukrainian community in Newark, a building committee was created to raise the funds to build a new church on Sanford Avenue. The parish celebrated Divine Liturgy in the new church on April 18, 1965.


Reverends Addresses LDS FHC
Microfilm #'s
Archive
Information

 

Reverend From To
John Dorozhynsky March 1907 July 28, 1907
Alexius Pelensky July 28, 1907 April 1908
Andrew Kaminsky May 1908 September 1908
Nestor Dmytriw September 1908 November 1, 1908
Stephan Makar November 1908 August 1, 1910
Constantine Yermiy August 1910 November 10, 1910
Peter Poniatishin November 10, 1910 May 1, 1925
Joseph Chaplinsky May 1, 1925 March 1933
Wasyl Hrywnak March 1933 April 1933
Myron Danilovich April 1933 February 26, 1946

Assistant Reverend From To
John Zacharko 1918 1919
John Hundiak 1919 Unknown
Stephen Sklepkovich 1920 Unknown
Wasyl Hrywnak 1921 Unknown
George Krupa 1921 1922
Simeon Czyzowycz 1922 Unknown
Leo Sembratovich 1922 Unknown
Volodymyr Dowhovich 1922 1923
Michael Kindiy 1923 1924
John Lazar 1942 1943
Nicholas Babak 1944 Unknown
Emil Manastersky 1944 1945
Michael Kawola 1945 1946

Address From To
Jackson Street 1906 1907
246 Court Street February 1907 September 1925
39 Morton Street September 1925 1960
Church & School    
Ivy Street & Sandford Ave 1960 1965
Sandford Avenue April 1965 Present


LDS FHC Microfilm #'s

Information Starting Year Ending Year LDS Microfilm #
       

Archive Information (Last Known location)