The Belleville Avenue Congregational Church was organized in 1868 by members of the First Congregational Church. A lot was purchased and a chapel erected at a cost of $9,000. A new building was dedicated on April 25, 1884.
Several of the ministers of the church have attained wide prominence in the world of literature:
George H. Hepworth became an editor of the New York Herald in 1885
From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912
Gives aid to its own members and to non-members where facts are known. Refers other cases to the Bureau of Associated Charities, to which organization it contributes annually. The Woman's Association does relief work through this organization. The church also works through the Anti-Saloon League, feeling that the liquor traffic is the prime cause of poverty and social distress.
From: Rider's Newark 1916
The Belleville Avenue Congregational Church is a simple cruciform structure of brown stone, in the English Gothic order, but without tower or spire.
April 21, 1912 - Presbyterians May Buy Church
Archive Information (Last Known location)
|Copyright 1998 - 2018 Glenn G. Geisheimer|