From a manuscript sketch by Miss Emma Victoria Gordon:
"The parish of Grace Church was organized in the month of May, 1837, was incorporated on the 24th day of the same month, under the general act, by names of the Rector, Wardens and Vestrymen of Grace Church in Newark, and admitted to the 'Convention of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the State of New Jersey' on the 32 day of that month. The first officers were Messr. Luke Reed and Charles M. King as wardens, Messrs. Joel W. Condit, Thomas D. James, J. C. Garthwaite, E. E. Boudinot, Horatio Holden, John H. Stephens, William Johnson, Henry Evans, Daniel Condit and William Stevens as vestrymen."
"The first services of the church were held in a room in the building which used to stand a number of feet from Mechanic Street in Broad Street, and nearly on the same ground where now stands the Globe building. From that room, on the first Sunday in April, 1838, they removed to a small white building with pillars in front and containing sixty-two pews and an organ gallery. The building stood on Clinton Street, opposite Beaver Street, until 1896 and was owned and erected by another denomination. The first church building of Grace parish was erected of wood, on Market Street, opposite Beaver, December 23, 1838 and took eighty-two days to build. The cornerstone of the present building at Broad and Walnut Streets was laid on the 17th day of May, 1847, was finished and consecrated the 5th of October, 1848, by the Right Rev. Bishop Doane. The church is built of brown freestone in the early English style of the thirteenth century, after the plans and designs furnished by Richard Upjohn, and will seat 700 worshipers. The total cost of the church, with everything about it (except the ground) was $34,758.99. The first organ was built by Hall & Labaugh at a cost of $2,557.27."
From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912
Gives relief to its own destitute members and in instances to nonmembers. Has social and religious guilds for both girls and boys. Church open from 7 AM to 8 PM daily and throughout the year.
Archive Information (Last Known location)
|Copyright 1998 - 2018 Glenn G. Geisheimer|