St. Matthew's German Episcopal Church was organized on May 31, 1848 by the Reverend Julius D. Rose, Ph. D. of Elizabeth, formerly of the Lutheran Church. Services were held in various places until Grace Church abandoned its original site on Market Street in 1848 and allowed St. Matthew's use of the church. During the Civil War, Dr. Rose became chaplain of the Seventh New Jersey Regiment where he was wounded and honorably discharged. He returned to the church but resigned in 1865 because of bad health. In 1872 the church moved to West Kinney and Charlton Streets where it stayed until July 1, 1890 when the church building was sold to the Hungarian Presbyterian Church. St. Matthew's then bought six lots at the corner of Avon and Chadwick Avenues where it built a new church which opened on May 19, 1907. In 1913 St. Matthew's services were conducted as a part of Grace Church.
From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912
Gives relief to its own destitute members and in instances to nonmembers.
Is assisting a man in his studies for the priesthood. Conducts boys' and
mens' clubs. Church is open also during week days.
Archive Information (Last Known location)
|Copyright 1998 - 2017 Glenn G. Geisheimer|