St. Barnabas' Church began its existence when the first service was held in a dwelling-house on September 1, 1852. The following year the church was fully organized. The person who was chiefly instrumental in establishing the parish was William Dusenberry, a layman. The Sunday School was organized on October 9, 1852. The first church building, which burned in 1862, was made of wood. It was officially opened in 1855. The church was next built of stone and opened on St. Barnabas' Day in 1864. The rectory was built in 1869 and the parish house in 1889. The church complex was in the triangle formed by Warren Street, Sussex and Roseville Avenues.
From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912
Gives relief to its own destitute members and in instances to nonmembers.
Archive Information (Last Known location)
|Copyright 1998 - 2018 Glenn G. Geisheimer|