St. Stephen's Episcopal Church

1867 - <1940>

Images

 

St. Stephen's Episcopal Church had its beginnings in a mission Sunday School established by Trinity Church. In 1867 a brick chapel was built on Clinton Avenue. On June 14, 1871, the congregation was organized as a parish. The corner stone of the present edifice was laid by Bishop Odenheimer on October 18, 1873. The plans for the church building were changed after the foundation was laid due to the panic of 1873. The first church service in the building was held on Thursday evening, November 20, 1879. In 1906 the church was embellished by a coat of stucco.

From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912

Gives relief to its own destitute members. The charity work of the church is conducted by the King's Daughters. Church open at times during the week days.

Reverends Addresses LDS FHC
Microfilm #'s
Archive
Information

 

Reverend From To
Henry M. Stuart 1872 1872
Edward B. Boggs 1873 1881
Edward G. Richardson 1883 1884
Edwin F. Small 1885 1892
Richard M. Sherman Jr. 1892 1899
Edmund A. Wason 1899 <1925>
Harry L. Hadley <1930> <1935>
Bale D. Webbe <1940> <1940>


Address From To
246 Clinton Ave. (Hill), 11 Elizabeth Avenue 1867 <1940>
     
     
     


LDS FHC Microfilm #'s

Information Starting Year Ending Year LDS Microfilm #
       
       

Archive Information (Last Known location)

Records of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, Newark-New Jersey, 1875-1884. Presented to the Library of the National Society D. A. R. from Caesarea Chapter of Newark, New Jersey. LDS/FHC Film # 0868283. (A transcript of selected records done by DAR, not film of the original)