Congregation B'Nai Abraham/
Second Jewish Synagogue

Images

1853 - Present

Official Web Site

The congregation of Temple B'nai Abraham was organized in 1853 by Orthodox members of Newark's first congregation, B'nai Jeshurun. It was named after Abraham Newman. Most of its members were from Posan, Poland. By 1924, the congregation had moved into its seventh and final Newark home (see image) on Clinton and Shanley Avenues in Newark's Clinton Hill section.

Originally it was Orthodox, with separate seating for men and women with no organ or choir. Eventually, this synagogue followed the Conservative ritual.

The building was unique among the numerous Newark synagogues in that it had, in addition to the Sanctuary, a large number of classrooms, a gymnasium, a combination auditorium/lecture hall, and a swimming pool. For much of its life, it was a hub of Jewish spiritual activities in the Clinton Hill section of Newark.

In 1973, Temple B'nai Abraham moved to its present home in Livingston.

From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912

Conducts a religious school daily for children of members and nonmembers; also a Young Folks' League.

Reverends Addresses LDS FHC
Microfilm #'s
Archive
Information

 

Reverend From To
Edward Rubin 1861 1861
Mr. Schriar 1862 1864
Isaac Schwarz 1864 1866
Moses Blumenthal 1866 1868
Isaac Stempel 1868 1870
Isador Kalish 1870 1874
M. H. Neuhut 1875 1880
P. Callen 1880 1882
A. Loeb 1882 1892
Adolph Bernstein 1892 1895
Joseph Segal 1895 1897
Jacob Goldstein 1897 1900
Max Groman 1900 1901
M.G. Solomon 1901 1902
Julius Silberfeld 1902 1939
Joachim Prinz (off site) July, 1939 1977
Barry Friedman 1976 1999
Clifford M. Kulwin 1999  
     
     


Address From To
25 Academy Street 1857 1866
Union Hall, 154 Market Street 1867 1869
55, 65 Bank Street 1870 1883
177 Halsey Street 1884 1889
226 Washington Street n. Market Street 1890 1897
High Street c. 13th Avenue 1897 1923
Clinton & Shanley Avenues 1924 1973
Livingston    


LDS FHC Microfilm #'s

Information Starting Year Ending Year LDS Microfilm #
       
       

Archive Information (Last Known location)

FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY CATALOG: Eightieth birthday and tenth new building anniversary celebration : Congregation B'Nai Abraham, Newark, New Jersey