November 29, 1908 - New
Memorial Window for Episcopal Church
St. Paul's Church was originally erected in 1852 as a chapel with a schoolhouse. The property at the northeastern corner of High and Market Streets was a gift of Jeremiah C. Garthwaite and had been a garden farm. The rectory was an old farmhouse. The church was organized on May 5, 1853. Efforts toward building a church were begun in 1856 and on April 25, 1873 the first stone was laid. The church was not completed until 1889. On June 24 of the year the first services were held in the new church. The building, at High and Market Streets, held 1,200 members and was finished in brick. The cost was $78,248.
From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912
The clergy are responsible for visiting the poor families. Gives relief
to its own destitute members and in instances to nonmembers. Engaged in
missionary work, home and abroad. Conduct men's, women's, boy's and girl's
societies and clubs. The church is open also during the week days.
Archive Information (Last Known location)
|Copyright 1998 - 2017 Glenn G. Geisheimer|